Below is a recap of major retail development happenings in the Huntsville area:
- Cabela’s, a hunting, fishing, and outdoor gear retailer announces it will begin construction this fall on a new 80,000 square foot store at the planned Parkside Town Centre development near the intersection of Interstate 565 and 255 at Governors West Road.
- Whole Foods Market announced in February that the company would expand its store locations to Huntsville. The organic foods store will be located at the corner of Bob Wallace Avenue and Memorial Parkway and is expected to open by 2016. Three more tenants announced they would be joining the Whole Foods-anchored shopping center, The Shops at Merchants Walk: Maki Fresh, Orangetheory Fitness and Mountain High Outfitters.
- The Avenue will be an upscale, mixed-use development in downtown Huntsville featuring 20,000 square feet of street-level retail space in addition to 200 loft style apartments and a large on-site parking garage. It will be located in the now-vacant lot at the northwest corner of Holmes Avenue and Jefferson Street. The project is headed up by Sealy Property Development who recently completed the successful Belk Hudson Lofts.
- Bridge Street Town Centre is adding a 170,000-square-foot, 2-level flagship Belk department store; approximately 50,000 square feet of new specialty shops in four additional buildings, new surface and deck parking. Belk is scheduled to open in Fall 2014 and will close their location at Madison Square Mall in October.
- Strong Station in Madison, developed by GBT Realty is located at the corner of U.S. 72 West and Nance Road. Phase two at Strong Station began construction in April. Hobby Lobby and a specialty grocer (which has not officially been named) along 12,000 additional square feet will be a part of Phase two with stores opening in early 2015. Phase one of Strong Station contains an Academy Sports.
- New plans for the Constellation property at the corner of Memorial Parkway and Clinton Avenue. Scott McClain, developer of the project recently said the 12-acre property will feature a 4-star European style hotel (AC Hotel by Marriott), 115,680 square feet of retail and restaurants, 150 apartments, 281,800 square feet of office space.
- Decatur city officials approved the first phase of the Sweetwater commercial project which will feature a 100,000 square foot Bass Pro Shops. The project will be located at the corner of Interstate 65 and I-565, in a portion of Decatur-annexed Limestone County.
- The Shops at John Hunt Park, a proposed development at the corner of Airport Road and Memorial Parkway has been put on hold as Huntsville city officials and GBT Realty could not reach an agreement on the sale of the land.
- The Crossing in Jones Valley, a 126-acre project, will include 400,000 square feet of upscale retail shops, restaurants, and entertainment uses along with a grocery component on the 2nd and 3rd phases of the project. The development will be located on Carl T. Jones Drive near Ledges Drive across from Valley Bend Shopping Center.